Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Gary Paulsen’s award-winning novel, Hatchet, is the classic survival story for elementary students. It recounts the adventures of Brian, who is on his way to visit his father in a small single-engine airplane when the pilot suddenly has a heart attack and the plane crashes. The fast-paced plot and use of character development make Hatchet an ideal choice for close reading mini lessons where students learn to ask questions while reading as well as cite textual evidence to defend their conclusions.
Teach with Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
This resource set includes everything you need to deliver meaningful reading instruction
- Interactive Lesson Plan for 5 Book Club Meetings Focusing on Drawing Conclusions
- Chapter by Chapter Discussion Guide
- Chapter by Chapter Vocabulary Guide
- Book Club Calendar
- Conversation Prompts
- Expectations for Book Club Anchor Chart / Student Reference Sheet
- Student Self-Evaluation Forms
- Running Record Assessment Tool
- Student Reading Response Guide
- Comprehension Assessment Rubric
- Common Core State Standard Assessment
Common Core Alignment
Take a Closer Look at the
Hatchet Resource Set
Hatchet Vocabulary Connections
Common Core Alignment:
L.4.4a L.4.5c L.4.6
Plan Faster and Discover New Ways to Use the Books in Your School and Classroom Libraries
With a Premium Membership to BookPagez you get unlimited access to thousands of mini lessons for hundreds of books. Whether you want to focus on comprehension or word work, you'll find exactly what you need inside of our comprehensive Resource Library.
Upgrade now and print everything you need to deliver balanced literacy instruction using popular and award-winning children's literature.