The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
Beloved author Kate DiCamillo’s The Tale of Despereaux, being the story of a mouse, a princess, some soup, and a spool of thread, is the story of an unlikely hero. Born undersized and with exceptionally large ears, Despereaux is nevertheless destined to be heroic. He is honest and true, and through his experiences, young readers will learn the importance of storytelling. The text structure introduces the characters out of sequence, and readers will learn to construct meaning by piecing together the facts and events that bring the characters together. This is the perfect story for mini lessons focused on non-linear text structure.
Teach with The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
Get everything you need to run a successful Book Club using The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo:
- Interactive Lesson Plan for 6 Book Club Meetings Focusing on Linear vs. Nonlinear Plots
- Chapter by Chapter Discussion Guide
- Chapter by Chapter Vocabulary Guide
- Book Club Calendar
- Conversation Prompts
- Expectations for Book Club Anchor Chart / Student Reference Sheet
- Student Self-Evaluation Forms
- Running Record Assessment Tool
- Student Reading Response Guide
- Comprehension Assessment Rubric
- Common Core State Standard Assessment
Common Core Alignment
Take a Closer Look at the
The Tale of Despereaux Resource Set
The Tale of Despereaux Vocabulary Connections
Common Core Alignment:
L.5.4a L.5.5 L.5.6
Plan Faster and Discover New Ways to Use the Books in Your School and Classroom Libraries
With a Premium Membership to BookPagez you get unlimited access to thousands of mini lessons for hundreds of books. Whether you want to focus on comprehension or word work, you'll find exactly what you need inside of our comprehensive Resource Library.
Upgrade now and print everything you need to deliver balanced literacy instruction using popular and award-winning children's literature.